Monday, March 4, 2013

6 Piece Portfolio








      Abstract: I decided to choose these images for my portfolio because I feel that aesthetically, they were very cohesive and showed a different range in my work, without being too drastic from one another, and still creating a kind of flow. I think this might also be due in part to the different, but dominant perspectives seen in the compositions themselves.
       For my first two images, I used several color correction tools in order to create more interesting compositions. I used a variety of photo filters as well as a lot of tinkering with the levels and curves in the images to make them more dynamic. I also changed their respective brightness and contrasts in order to improve the image clarity and balance. Aesthetically, I think they're very nice images, their overall tone and composition create images with good character.
       My third image was from the external outlines project. I implemented the Rule of Thirds in this image in order to create a more interesting and balanced composition. I really enjoy the bright oranges contrasting with the extreme darks, and how the one point perspective quickly leads you into the image, creating some tension and action.
       The fourth image is more abstract and moody, thanks to some changes I made with the hue and contrast. I find the perspective in this image very interesting and the lines of the staircase add a very linear movement to the image. The different highlights- on the floor and around the edges of the stairs add a bit of random but interesting and playful movement to an otherwise very serious image.
       My last two images were from the same assignment in which I had to create a composition with elements from two different photos. I love how natural the addition of the chalk man in the second to last photo looks, and thanks to a few Photoshop tricks, looks like it could belong there. In the final photo I added the orange sky, and I feel like with it, I was able to successfully change the atmosphere and dynamic of the image. The oranges in the sky contrast with the bright taxi cabs, and as your eye is led towards the left corner of the image because of the concentration of hue there, it is brought back to forefront of the image because of the direction of the cabs. There's a lot on motion and dynamic elements in this composition.
     Self Evaluation: It was fun and enjoyable working with Photoshop to change these images and I learned that sometimes out of the camera images aren't really perfect, and there's so much you can do in order to make an image look more aesthetically pleasing and harmonic. Different effects and even just moving around elements in a composition can also add a lot of depth and interest, as well as action.
      I believe I did pretty well on these pieces. I worked to the best of my ability and tried to push myself to attempt new techniques and take different risks. All in all I believe that I achieved what was asked me for in each assignment, and was able to change my images in a very subtle but still successful direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment